Wednesday, January 23, 2008

omg my bff jill!

i am soooooooo freakin' old!
i feel comfortable in the thought that my generation created the "bff" i will give credit to gen 'y' for omg, tptb, imho, dh, many others that i don't need to detail here, but friends.......
back in the ancient year of 1976 red m&ms were taken from us. ripped from our sweaty childhood hands because it was feared that they would cause cancer (red dye #2) not to be given back for almost 10 years! we had to live with yellow, orange, dark brown, light brown (yes light brown) and green hehehehehe and green m&ms meant the same thing then that they do now. i will give my generation credit for that too!
here are more wonderful tidbits:
1. i am old enough to have had black & white photos from a studio (i don't know if they were cheaper, or if color film was in short supply but all my friends had b&w baby photos too)
2. neither me nor my sisters had disposable diapers used on us. I think they may have been around when my youngest sister was born, but my mom liked to torture me (this is a whole nother story for a whole nother time)
3. when our school teachers brought tests to us they had been mimeographed not XEROXed! we used to smell them as soon as they were put on our desks (if you wanted a real good high, you volunteered to pick them up from the office, so you could smell the whole stack on the way back to class)
4. oh, and the ink on the mimeograph was blue.
5. mcdonald's and burger king were the only fast food restaurants in town and we still fought over where to go - right jennifer? stupid burger king.
6. if you bought a tootsie pop and there was a star on the wrapper, the guy at the food town (small town 7-11) would give you a free one. (i remember one summer i almost didn't have to pay for tootsie pops!)
7. there are many more (you all have gotten the emails forwards)
8. which brings me to the last thing on my list - those email forwards that tell you how you really don't love god if you don't send this one along and you dog will die if you don't send it to 20 friends in 20 minutes. i remember getting actual chain letters (google it)

4 comments:

Jennifer Buck said...

Ok...I can still smell the copies...boy they smelled great! ...and if only you guys would have waited a few minutes (15-20!) for McD's to take off the stinkin' onions I would have gone there! ...that was before chickn' nuggets you know! ;)

Jennifer Buck said...

oh yeah...I still look for the star when one of my boys gets one of those things!

Katie said...

Chain letters...I had totally forgotten about those!

CANDACE said...

o ann...i lol-ed at your blog post. if it makes you feel better, i remember light brown m&ms and the blue copies before xeroxing. though i don't think i knew what getting high was. i miss you!