Thursday, April 3, 2008

Book Signing


Tonight our family went to our first book signing! (Doug can't remember if he has been to one before)


We drove up to Clairmont Mesa to Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore to see P.J. Haarsma, author of The Softwire Virus on Orbis One and The Softwire Betrayal on Orbis. Last year when Jake was in fifth grade at Rolando Elem. this author came to talk to the kids about his book. I am sure that it was publicized beforehand, but as is his way Jake didn't tell me a thing about it like that they could buy the book and get them signed etc... However, when he got home that day we had to go to the bookstore to get this book! P.J. was such a dynamic speaker that Jake recited his whole story and we both read the book which was wonderful! More exciting was that he had created an online game tie-in with the book.


For a year we have been anxiously awaiting the publication of the second in the series and the day finally came last week when we got the second book. I found out about tonight's book signing from P.J. himself - I am quite a fan! Partially from enjoying the book, but mostly because he sparked something in my son that I thought he'd never have, an enjoyment from books. Between the first and second of the Softwire books Jake has read all of The Lord of the Rings books, all Harry Potter, and various other books.


The book signing was fun, I just so wish that we had invited more people! There were a total of 6 people there (including my family of 4 - not including the 2 employees). I think P.J. was happy to have a kid there (Jake). Can I say though that I like the guy more now because he was personable, kind and very entertaining, so much so that Kyle now wants to read the book! This guy is awesome!


No comments: