Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cell Phone Etiquette

Call me crazy!

While I appreciate the convenience of a cell phone, I think it is a shame that we don't have an Emily Post etiquette guideline for the usage of the device. I KNOW I am not the first person to complain about it but I have had two folks in my car in the last month who have gotten calls on their cell while we were driving and actually taking the CALL instead of waiting to answer, or answering and offering to call the person back - they have held a conversation that lasted the duration of the drive!!

What did I do while these two conversations took place? I turned the radio down, so they could carry a conversation with the friends on the other end of the call and I drove these rude, ungrateful, obviously clueless acquaintances to their destination! Without uttering a word. One girl's call got cut short when the person she was speaking to got another call (she was actually offended that they took the other call!) The other actually stepped out of the car and walked off without saying 'goodbye' to me at all!

So here you have:

The New "Emily Post" (Ann Batson) Rules of Cell Phone Etiquette

1. If you receive a call from a "friend" while you are in the midst of previously made plans with another "friend", and you feel you must answer the call, choose to offer to call them back at the end of the evening.
2. When you are at a movie, sporting event, church service (of any type) or family dinner. Absolutely do not text your pals to see what they are doing. I promise that your family, friends, and church family will appreciate more having your undivided attention. (Surprisingly, you may end up enjoying yourself and actually learn something important)
3. If at all possible end your conversation before you hit the checkout at the grocery store, gas station, 7-11. NO ONE, least of all the others in line or the girl/guy behind the counter care about your date last night, most recent break up or why you and your family aren't getting along. (hint - it may have something to do with the cell phone that is permanently attached to your hand)

Anyone else want to contribute?

1 comment:

janet said...

I was at work last night and a was talking to a very sweet senior man. A daughter of one of the ladies that live there walked by and he asked her how her mother was doing and she started talking but kept walking....she was on her borg phone (attached to her ear) and didn't even see him...and totally missed out....what was funny is she didn't realize how loud she was talking...sooo rude!